CFS Version 8 Changes
Released September 2013
2012 North American Specification
CFS now supports the 2012 Edition of the "North American Specification for the Design of Cold-Formed Steel Members".
This includes ASD and LRFD for U.S. and Mexico, as well as LSD for Canada. CFS continues to support the 2010, 2007, 2004, 2001, and 1999
Editions. Changes in the 2012 Edition include:
- Section A2.1.1: ASTM A1063 material added. Now incorporated in CFS.
- Section B1.3: Corner radius-to-thickness ratio limits. CFS includes a message in the output for R/t > 10 and uses an element stiffness adjustment according the rational method in the Commentary.
- Section B2.5: Elements restrained by intermittent connections. This section is not used by CFS.
- Section C2: Tension provisions unified into main body of Specification. The equation numbers changed.
- Section C3.1.1: f=0.90 for LRFD, regardless of flange stiffening.
- Section C3.1.4: Distortional buckling simplified provisions were moved to Commentary. The equation numbers changed.
- Section C3.6: Reduction factor for combined bending and torsion is revised. This section is not used by CFS.
- Section C4.2: Distortional buckling simplified provisions were moved to Commentary. The equation numbers changed.
- Section D1.1: Clarifications were made for members composed of two back-to-back C-sections. No changes to CFS.
- Section D6.1.1: Applicability requirements were revised or added. No changes to CFS.
- Appendix 1 (DSM):
- Limits for pre-qualified sections were expanded. This is specified by the user in CFS.
- Provisions were added for compressive strength of perforated members. Now incorporated in CFS.
- Provisions were added for flexural strength of perforated members. Now incorporated in CFS.
- Provisions were added for web shear strength using direct strength. Now incorporated in CFS.
- Provisions were added for beam or column reserve capacity. This is not used in CFS.
- Now handles compound flexural buckling of point-symmetric sections under compression using elastic theory.
- More information included in the calculation trace for the Direct Strength Method.
- CFS and the installer are signed with RSG Software publisher information for safe execution.
- Stand-alone license option:
- Time-based license at a lower initial cost
- Can be used internationally without a USB key
Copyright © 2013 RSG Software, Inc.
- Fixed out of bounds error in calculating effective properties for closed shapes with intermediate stiffeners.
- Fixed problem with scale of shear diagram under certain rare loading conditions.
- The distortional buckling moment strength should be checked even if the tension flange is fully braced and a moment reduction factor is applied.
- Fixed number format in DXF export for cases where the regional settings use a different decimal separator.
- Fixed DSM distortional buckling calculation at low slenderness ratios.